APA|DC First Annual Mid-Atlantic Portfolio Reviews
This is an acceptance only portfolio review for professional commercial and editorial photographers inside of Union Station, in the heart of Washington, DC. Literally steps from the train platforms and METRO station, as well as blocks from the US Capitol, this is a once-a-year opportunity to share new work and meet with creatives from around the mid-Atlantic, one-on-one. Afterwards, follow us next door (but still inside the Station) for a social hour with the reviewers.
Each participant will have (3) 15 minute reviews with some of the top creatives in the region from organizations and companies including AARP, Discovery Communications, Ogilvy, Smithsonian and more. There is a possibility that additional review slots will become available, a la carte.
WHEN October 5th – 6:30 – 9:00. First reviews begin promptly at 7 pm.
WHERE The Columbus Club inside Union Station, Washington, D.C.
PRICING $75 for Professional/Leader level APA members; $95 for other APA members: $125 for the general public. (Refunds may be given on a case by case basis.)
The Reviewers (alphabetical by company):
- Jill Foley – AARP
- Caitlin Peters – AARP
- Mike Kline – AOPA Magazine
- Susan Wetherby – Discovery
- Drew Mitchell – Fathom Creative
- Ivana Wong – Fathom Creative
- Jamin Hoyle – Freelance
- Frank Meo – Found
- Johnny Vitorovich – Grafik
- Rachna Patel – Ketchum
- Claudia Barac-Roth – Marriner Marketing
- Gretchen Carswell – MDB Communications
- Dennis Dimmick – Formerly National Geographic Society
- Molly Roberts – National Geographic
- Kai Fang – Ogilvy PR
- Bill Cutter – Smith Gifford
- Christy Steele – SCIENCE Magazine
- Kevin Richards – Subject Matter
- Donald Bullach – TMP Worldwide
- David Baratz – USA Weekend/USA Today
- Jennifer Beeson Gregory – Washington Post
- Wallace Boss – WHITE64
- Stacy Swiderski – Wonderful Machine
- Louise Salas – Wunderman
There are several steps in the process, so please read and follow each step completely. Questions? Email Erika Nizborski at email@example.com or Matthew Rakola at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 1) Submit your Website for Consideration.
In order to keep these reviews as competitive as possible, all participants are required to submit their websites for acceptance into the reviews. Website reviews will be conducted by an affiliated APA chapter representative and participants will be notified within 24 hours of submitting whether or not they have been accepted.
Submit your website to: email@example.com at any time for review. There is no application fee.
Step 2) Register.
Upon acceptance, register as soon as your membership allows (i.e. Pro and Leader levels on 9/13.) There are a limited number of attendee slots available.
Registration Period Dates:
• Professional & Leader level APA members – Tuesday, 9/13 and later;
• Other APA membership levels – Tuesday, 9/20 and later;
• General Public – Tuesday, 9/27 and later.
*** Please note, PRO and LDR members will not get priority booking after 9/20. There will be no preferential booking after 9/27. Sign up as soon as possible!***
Step 3) Choose your Reviewers.
After registering, choose your top 5 preferred reviewers by emailing your choices to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line “[Your Last name]: Reviewer Selections – confirmation number” (i.e. Eventbrite’s 9 digit Order #.)
If additional reviewers become available, Leader and Pro levels will be notified, in the order in which they registered, and given the opportunity to add that reviewer. Registration ends at midnight on September 30th. Final schedules will sent to attendees by Monday October 3th. We will do everything we can to accommodate participant’s selections but we cannot guarantee specific reviewers.
It is possible that reviewers will be booked after the end of the first and second period dates.
Step 4) Preparation
We will share tips and strategies for portfolio reviews to everyone in attendance. In the meantime, we will be offering a peer reviewed event on Saturday, September 17th for anyone interested. This will be an opportunity to show your book to veteran photographers who can offer insight and advice on your presentation in a low pressure environment. This is free for APA members and $20 for non-members. Light food and beverage will be provided. More info here.
Step 5) Attendance
The reviews will begin promptly at 7 pm. The Station has a garage, as well as easy access to METRO, Amtrak, and the MARC trains. Please give yourself time to come in and get settled before the event begins. The venue is literally steps from the Union Station food court and dozens of restaurants. We’ll also have a healthy amount of mints on hand!
General Information and Tips
- The venue is steps from Amtrak, MARC, and METRO:
- Union Station also has a parking garage and street parking is available in the neighborhood with a little effort.
- We will have some reviewers who can review short video pieces. Please bring Your own OVER THE EAR headphones. We will provide cleaning wipes.
- iPads are nice but don’t underestimate the printed book!
- Reviewers are donating their time. Please respect that by making the transition between reviews as quick as possible.
- We will be raffling off (2) full copies of CaptureOne, courtesy of Capture Integration!
A big Thank you to our sponsors!