Please join us for this MEMBERS ONLY event on Tuesday, February 17th at Local 16
We know that one of the hardest things in this business is to meet and network with the creatives who license and use photography. APA|DC has teamed up with our peers at the DC chapter of ASMP to help you do just that! We’ve invited members of the DC Ad Club, AIGA, and the Association of Women in Communications, as well as other specific members of the advertising, design, and publication industries to be our guests at an informal, creative industry happy hour on February 17th, in DC. This is a fantastic opportunity to meet the people who use photographs on a weekly basis and who, more importantly, hire photographers.
This is an informal happy hour and the purpose is to get everyone to meet each other.
Here are some quick tips:
- This is not the time and place to show off your images. (That comes later.) Bring your business cards but leave your promos, iPads and portfolios at home.
- Art Directors often say that they want to like the photographers that they hire. Be the kind of person that you would want to hire.
- Don’t lead with your business card. If you talk to someone and find you have a connection and/or could have a mutually beneficial business arrangement, by all means swap information.
- Rehearse your elevator speech. Remember the key words and concepts that you want to convey– what makes you different, what your interests are, etc.– and practice saying them over and over in a slightly different way each time. This way you’ll have something to say but it won’t sound like a sales pitch.
- Above all else, be positive. Enthusiasm is contagious. Always talk about your successes, not your failures.
The $15 ticket price covers one drink, light fare, and automatically buys a drink for a creative. Sorry, no guests at this event– this is your membership working for you!
WhenTuesday, February 17th, 6 – 9 pm
WhereLocal 16 1602 U Street NW Washington, DC
$15, which includes light far and one drink ticket.